Re: crack of doom

To: eldridge <eldridge@nbnet.nb.ca>
Subject: Re: crack of doom
From: "Christopher M. Delling" <cdelling@ic.net>
Date: Sun, 01 Jun 1997 16:20:29 -0400
eldridge wrote:

> generally called the crack of doom because once its there any attempt to
> repair short of reskining the door is useless.
> Allan Eldridge
> eldridbe@nbnet.nb.ca
> 70,72,79 roadsters

I have a 77 roadster that had the crack of doom at the time of
purchase.  When I had the car inspected (prior to purchase) by a local
mechanic, he indicated that it was a common problem that could, in fact,
be fixed.  His fix:  drill a small hole at the base of the crack to
stress relieve the area.  Mig welded the crack shut.  Used a body hammer
to beat te area slightly concave.  Welded a second piece of sheet metal
over the repaired area.  A thin layer of body filler to blend in the
area.  He charged me $45, and it looks absolutely now, 4 years later.
FWIW-

Regards,

Chris Delling