Re: Getting Too Close to the Flame / Emissions

To: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Subject: Re: Getting Too Close to the Flame / Emissions
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 1997 02:57:32 -0400
Robert Allen wrote:
> I have no right to pollute the air?

  Does anyone?

  Take me at face value. I'm not really an environmental
kind of guy. I don't have an air pump or a cat on my LBC,
and I'm not losing sleep. I've dumped brake fluid down
the sewer because I had no way to get it out of the parking
garage.

  I beleive that emissions are bad, but I want to enjoy
my hobby as well. I do what I can, and when I can make
a difference I try. Succinctly, I feel I am being
fair to both myself and the planet.

  Call it bad marketing by the EPA and the utterly
annoying eco-warriors, but they have an awful reputation. I
hate them as much as anyone. But it is disturbing to
see opinions like yours that say "I hate the EPA, and
I am proud of all the pollution my car produces, and
they can't do a damn thing about it because it's
my right and if they try to pass more laws I'll
get violent".

  Can you not hate the tree huggers, but without taking
it out on the planet? Sorry if this brings the bile
to the top of your throat, but "the planet belongs
to all of us".

  When you fight with your wife, do you "take it out
on her" by wasting large sums of money from your
joint bank account? Get the idea?

  It's about balance. If I had a triple-DCOE MGC-GT
like yourself, I would drive it around with pleasure. I
know I can gain 20hp by replacing my single carb with
a dual SU carb, and am working on the project, even
knowing it causes more emissions.

  But come on, to "delight" in producing emissions
just because you aren't fond of environmentalists? Is
that just a little ridiculous?

--
Trevor Boicey
Ottawa, Canada