Re: Getting Too Close to the Flame / Computers

To: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Subject: Re: Getting Too Close to the Flame / Computers
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 1997 02:43:21 -0400
Robert Allen wrote:
> Of course, you can only do so much. The computer technology is too slow
> to work in real time.

  I'd heartily contest this, from a technical standpoint.

  If there is any slowness in responding to high speed changes
in operating, it's not the computer but the mechanical elements. While
this is unfortunate, computer or no computer, mechanical devices
can be slow at making positional movements.

  I can't think of any blindingly-fast responding elements in
any carb, however. If you feel that computer controlled systems
aren't as fast as they could be, that's another discussion, not
one that really belongs in one comparing it with carbeuration
systems.

> But if you have a performance motor and you really
> jump on it, things happen too fast for the computers to keep up. Then
> they just revert to some pre-programmed logic cemented to their
> motherboards.

  Preprogrammed logic? Like... carb settings?

> They go into 'open loop' and just wing it and don't adjust to the
> environment.

  ...which essentially means it will ignore things like the
oxygen sensor. How many LBC carbs do you have that listen to
an oxygen sensor? Remember the context of what we are
discussing here.

> And there is no way for us neandrathals to work with it
> either on the new cars.

  Echoes of what I am sticking to as a theme, you don't
see people who really know newer systems making such
comments.

--
Trevor Boicey
Ottawa, Canada