Distributor Problems

To: "mgs@autox.team.net" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Distributor Problems
From: "Craig H. Brallier" <brallier@twd.net>
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 1997 06:48:56 -0700
I'm having trouble tightening the pinch bolt on the distributor clamping
plate.  The distributor on my 75 B is an electronic type with a
rectangular box extension beside the vacuum advance unit.  As it sits in
the engine, the vacuum advance unit points up and the box extension
covers the pinch bolt.  It even interferes with the dip stick.  (The
distributor on my 76 B points up also but is a points type and doesn't
have the big box mounted on the side).   As an off the wall solution I
thought about turning the distributor 90 degrees CCW and pointing the
vacuum advance to the back of the engine.  I would also move the plug
wires CW one position in the distributor cap.  That should rotate the
distributor body out of the way of the pinch bolt and still keep the
engine timed correctly.  The engine doesn't care how the distributor is
positioned as long as the rotor points to the right plug wire at the
right time, does it??  Could the clamping plate be mounted with the pinch
bolt to the bottom instead of the top for easier access?  Any
suggestions?

Craig Brallier

75 B - Loose Distributor

76 B