Wicked Backfire?!

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Wicked Backfire?!
From: Nick Benson <nbenson@ci.fort-collins.co.us>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 1997 09:17:24 -0600
        I have developed a horrible backfire that only happens
when I upshift in my '77 Midget.  It has the automatic choke,
which must be a factor since it NEVER backfires when the choke is
operating when the engine is cold.
        It seems as soon as the engine warms up, the backfire
begins?  I've checked the timing with a light, and all is ok.  I have
the lucas electronic distributor that is only three years young.

What is causing this?

Someone suggested that the muffler has a hole in it after the
catalytic converter, but there doesn't appear to be a hole there.

I'm not sure what I should begin to check.

Nick D. Benson