Re: Electric Cars

To: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Subject: Re: Electric Cars
From: Bill Harkins <bharkins@tfb.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 1997 15:00:09 -0700
Paul Hunt wrote:

> Article in the UK Sunday Times says that GM aren't having much luck
> selling electric cars in CA, and one of the reasons given is that the
> battery chargers require 220v in a state where most houses are on 110v.
>  Can this be true?

I would expect that most CA houses do have 220v if they were built in
the past 15-20 years for clothes dryers and such. I suspect that the
real reason few are signing up for the EV1 is that it is a very high
price to pay for a glorified golf cart. I saw one at the recent Palm
Springs Concours - the marketing brochure is very slick, up to the point
where it shows in very fine print the operating range before charging of
60 to 70 miles. The "luggage" space is less than a TC as it is mostly
batteries!

Bill Harkins
Fallbrook, CA