RE: Midget Ribcase Transmissions

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: Midget Ribcase Transmissions
From: "john ruse" <hologothic@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 97 16:31:21 UT
Aron wrote

>In this months 'Mini Mania' flyer they are advertising rebuilt
>ribcase transmissions guaranteed to not jump out of second gear.
>They imply that this is a cronic problem, and that they rebuild the
>trans in a way to cure this.
>Anyone know what the special way/parts that they use to prevent this?
>Or is it just hype?

I know the Company that occasionally builds gearboxes for Mini Mania and
whilst they are good honest units, they are totally standard. Second gears do
wear badly on this unit but this tends to make it difficult to engage rather
than cause it to jump out. As far as I know no one is making replacement 2nd
gears but if anyone knows different PLEASE let me know. One could always build
the sync hub with stronger springs, or fit stronger springs to the selector
rails. This would help keep the thing in gear once it had shown a propensity
to jump out. Starting from a standard unit I don't know of any reason why MM
should suggest that this gear is more prone to jumping out than any other
fully synchronized gear.

john

hologothic@msn.com