Re: since were on this " my Engine runs bad when..." thread.

To: randyr@starwave.com
Subject: Re: since were on this " my Engine runs bad when..." thread.
From: todd@nutria.nrlssc.navy.mil (Todd Mullins)
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 13:36:19 -0500 (CDT)
Randy Rees writes:

> My 67 BGT starts right up in the morning (and all other times)but after
> about 40 seconds of running it dies, sound like fuel starvation; and
> just won't restart. I let it sit with the key on for a while and keep
> cranking the engine, after about 10 minutes of this it finally starts
> but runs real rough and has a missing, running on 3 cylinders kind of
> sound, then finally comes out of this and runs just fine. typical
> temperature outside is 55 degrees. Now the funny part. I can let it sit
> inside the company parking garage for about 10 hours during the day,
> temperature is about 55-60 degrees, car starts right up, and drives just
> fine, never misses a beat. Temperature gauge shows its dead cold, just
> like in the morning. It starts and runs without hesitation, any other
> time I ask it to.
>
> Why only in the morning? It does not seem to be temperature /time
> related. The only other clue is that my fuel pump runs all the time, not
> real loud but it is running, with just a little louder click every now
> and then. If my fuel pump was having problems wouldn't it be the same
> morning or evening as long as time and temperature was a constant? Any
> other facts I left out?

One thing that springs to my mind is the orientation of the car when
parked.  Is it always parked facing uphill at your house, and/or always
parked facing downhill at work?  Under such circumstances I could
imagine that the fuel pump would have a hard time passing fuel through a
(perhaps partially clogged) fuel line in the morning, but gravity would
gradually fill the float bowls while you're busy earning your millions.

Blind guesses aren't very accurate, though.  I suggest installing a
clear fuel filter so that you can actually observe what's happening each
time you cold-start it.  At the least, you could pop open the float
bowls and check the fuel level each time.

--

Todd Mullins
Todd.Mullins@nrlssc.navy.mil    On the lovely Mississippi (USA) Coast

'74 MGB Tourer that needs a new fuel filter itself

That's me at the corner.
That's me at the stoplight,
Losing my transmission...