Re: WAS: Midget Ribcase Transmissions NOW: 5 Speed Conversion

To: Jay Quinn <jpquinn@cyberramp.net>
Subject: Re: WAS: Midget Ribcase Transmissions NOW: 5 Speed Conversion
From: Tom Shirley <tshirley@voy.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 20:10:05 -0400
Hi Jay,

> Thats where I'm trying to take my car and keep it street legal.

To continue to run in a stock or street prepared class in SCCA
autocross, you can't change the tranny. I didn't really care about that
since my race car is a 72 Datsun 510.

> $1,200.00 vs. $200.00   I went for the $200 solution,

I can understand your concern for the cost. The 510 doesn't get much use
lately and the biggest reason is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

>I don't think that the 5 speed was really worth it, maybe someone could
>convince
> me otherwise.  Although to late now.

If you ever get a chance to take one out on the road, do it. The
difference is RPMs in top gear makes for a much more comfortable ride.

> As far as gear ratios are concerned and whats prefered, I am bolting on my
> 4.22 final drive differential.  That should make it a bit more competative.

Yes, the 4.22 will be much more competitive. Wish I could find one
cheap. I've got one that is welded up but I'd like to have one for the
street too.

Tom Shirley
Sale Creek, TN
71 MG Midget