Re: WAS: Midget Ribcase Transmissions NOW: 5 Speed Conversion

To: Jay Quinn <jpquinn@cyberramp.net>
Subject: Re: WAS: Midget Ribcase Transmissions NOW: 5 Speed Conversion
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 11:40:24 -0700 (PDT)
On Wed, 11 Jun 1997, Jay Quinn wrote:

<snip>
> I'm not aware of what the most popular tranny is choosen
> by autoX'ers, if the gear ratio is prefered and all that.
> Thats where I'm trying to take my car and keep it street legal.
<snip>
> As far as gear ratios are concerned and whats prefered, I am bolting on my
> 4.22 final drive differential.  That should make it a bit more competative.

Jay,
A 4.22 with a 1275 is great fun around town, makes the car very nimble and
feel powerful off the line.  However if you are going to do a lot of
interstate driving or like to take trips in the car, a 3.7 would be much
more fun.

If you want to do both, I think the only answer is the 5-speed.
About the need for a rebuild on the 5-speed:  I think my 5-speed has high
milage and it shifts like the tranny in an older used car.  Sometimes you
can feel the synchros do their work, it doesn't slip into gear as smoothly
as a fresh tranny would.  There is a certain amount of howling, but not
even close to the noise produced by a ribcase.
When I rebuild my engine I will look into the feasibility of having the
Datsun tranny rebuilt (does anyone have any info on this/have had theirs
rebuilt?), but if you find a low milage example or are not a perfectionist
(I think I am one), a non-rebuilt 5-speed would be fine.

It is very satisfying drive on the interstate in 5th and downshift to 4th,
which is 1:1, just like 4th on the ribcase and remember the noise and
vibration I used to endure.  Of course I still have the original 4.22 rear
end which makes for high revs in 4th...

                                                           '67 Sprite