Re:Amazing gas mileage!

To: MG List <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re:Amazing gas mileage!
From: "G.J." <johnsong@is2.dal.ca>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 18:50:25 -0300 (ADT)
>I just went on about a 750 mile trip in my '72 MGB, for a job interview (
>and for a conjugal visit).  Before I left, I had been getting about 26
>mpg (imp., 31 mpUSg.).  I did some tuning, but the only major change was
            ^^
 I mean, about 22.  I had the wrong formula in my spreadsheet to convert
mpIMPg to mpUSg; divided by .83 instead of multiplied. Oh, that's what you
were talking about (Kirk). :>

>that I leaned the carbs back a bit (used Colortune).  On the next tank I
>got the same (27 mpg), but the second tank, I got 39 MPG! (47mpUSg) I
                                                            ^^32mpUSg

>thought there was a problem with my fuel guage, when the odometer was
>reading 200miles and it was just under a half tank.  I added 7 litres and
>kept going until 340 miles on the odometer!  I couldn't believe it.

My latest tank was 36 mpg (30mpUSg), so I guess it wasn't a fluke: 75% top
up(highway).  It's been warm and she's leaned out.  Best I've got in the
past is about 28mpg.

Unfortunately, I can't afford to insure 2 cars, so the mgb must make way
for my offroad research vehicle (a 4wd subaru) for about 2.5 weeks of
fieldwork. Bummer.  I'm glad I have an understanding insurance company.
Ususally lets me change my insurance back and forth between vehicles. No
charge.

   / ______/        |   |  Greg Johnson      * See the British Automobile
 /   \   ___        |   |  Biology Dept.            Touring Assoc. of NS
 \     \_\  \  /\ __|   |  Dal. University                     Home Page!*
   \______   / \________|  Halifax, N.S., Canada
          \/
                 www.chebucto.ns.ca/Recreation/BATANS/