Re: Physics Types

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Physics Types
From: gallianp@onyx.xtalwind.net (Paul Gallian)
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 22:10:47 -0400
>On Thu, 12 Jun 1997, John S. van Syckel wrote:
>
>> I would like to ask for some help from some of you "Physics Types."  I have
>> been told that a "Newton/Meter" (or "Meter/Newton") is the metric
>> equivalent of foot/pound.
>>
>> 1.  Is this true?
>
>Yup, if by equivalent you mean they are both measures of the same
>physical property.
>
>> 2.  And if it is, does anyone know how to convert foot/pounds to
>> newton/meters (or whatever).
>
>The schools are really failing young people today.  As a morning exercise
>before the start of the fifth grade, we used to:
>
>1) pledge allegiance to the flag, and
>
>2) chant in unison, "multiply newton-meters by 0.7375621 to obtain
>pound-feet; divide pound-feet by 1.355818 to obtain newton-meters"

When I was in school we did not convert Nm  to  "pound feet" by subtracting
meters from newtons and then multiplying it by 0.7375621 as the above
suggest.

Of course that may not be a minus sign  in #2?

Today and in the near past metric is used in physics classes but WE do not
teach conversions!!!!  THINK METRIC!!

BUT my wife is a control room operator at a nuclear power plant and they
use a mix of units and need to be able to convert on the fly!!

 "Remember even a kick in the caboose is a step forward."
                               -- Texas Bix Bender

1952- MG-TD
Paul Gallian
gallianp@onyx.xtalwind.net