Re: Physics Types

To: "John S. van Syckel" <vansyck@heidelberg-emh11.army.mil>
Subject: Re: Physics Types
From: "W. R. Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 14:24:02 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 12 Jun 1997, John S. van Syckel wrote:

> I would like to ask for some help from some of you "Physics Types."  I have
> been told that a "Newton/Meter" (or "Meter/Newton") is the metric
> equivalent of foot/pound.
>
> 1.  Is this true?

Yup, if by equivalent you mean they are both measures of the same
physical property.

> 2.  And if it is, does anyone know how to convert foot/pounds to
> newton/meters (or whatever).

The schools are really failing young people today.  As a morning exercise
before the start of the fifth grade, we used to:

1) pledge allegiance to the flag, and

2) chant in unison, "multiply newton-meters by 0.7375621 to obtain
pound-feet; divide pound-feet by 1.355818 to obtain newton-meters"

Nowadays, people don't respect the flag and haven't a clue how to convert
from newton-meters to pound-feet.

By the way, since you have a Drehmomentschleussel, it's a good idea to use
that instead of a conventional Radmutterschluessel, to keep from warping
your drums.

WRG

   W. R. Gibbons  Dept. of Molecular Physiology & Biophysics
                  gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8629