What's in a name?

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: What's in a name?
From: Bill Eastman <william.eastman@medtronic.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 12:56:19 -0500
As I get more aquainted with the A and its personality, I am thinking that
a name might be in order.  I do not usually name cars.  In fact, the last
vehicle I spent time with that had a name was the family shop / farm truck
called "Old Blue" because of its color and its faithful personality (300k +
miles many of them loaded well beyond its design limits- only two engines
and one tranny).  I admit that other vehicles have picked up a name for
short periods of time such as my BSA motorcycle- "That (pet name deleted)
still leaks oil down the cylinder head!"

The MGA doesn't really fit into either of those categories.  It is more
like a family pet whose occasional "deposits" and extra expenses are
tolerated because of what it returns in companionship.

When everything is right, the A performs its function with beauty, grace,
and finesse.  It will still try to be a good partner even when everything
is not perfect.  When attention is truly needed, however, it can drain you
emotionally and financially but not as bad as some alternatives.  It is
reasonably well mannered but can bite if mishandled.

This opinion is not always shared by everyone in the family.  Ask my SO
right now and she would probably liken it more to a mistress with expensive
tastes who lives in the garage.

Right now I am leaning towards the name "Rose" or "Rosie" because of its
Rosa Red paint and its personality- beauty and grace with a few thorns.
However, Rose is not perfect because it sounds a little soft and the A can
be as serious as you want to be when the need arises.  I will think about
it.

Regards,
Bill Eastman- today's bandwidth hog
61 MGA becoming part of the family