Allison(Crane) electronic ignitions

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Allison(Crane) electronic ignitions
From: JWidell625@aol.com
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 1997 18:48:06 -0400 (EDT)
Anyone know a little about electronic ignitions?  My 77B with an Allison
xr-700 elctronic ignition went belly up today (at least 99 percent sure) .
It's not the coil, and the starting problem (no spark) manifested itself
after the car warmed up, so I'm reasonably sure it's the module.(replaced the
coil-same thing happened) I even found a lookalike power transistor at Radio
Shack and tried replacing that on the module, to no avail. Also, the system
is at least 5 years old, having been installed in the distant past by a PO.
My questions are:

1. Should the new power transistor have rectified the problem, or are there
other things that can go wrong with the module or sender?

2. If I do need to replace the system, should I stick with the Crane system
or is the Pertronix system better? Apparently the Pertronix fits entirely in
the distributor cap, and, but not least, is about 30 bucks cheaper.

Thanks from So. FLA.

Joel Widell