Re: OD Wiring Harness

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net, Williams/MG Guy <mgguyc100@ra.isisnet.com>
Subject: Re: OD Wiring Harness
From: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 1997 15:14:43 +0000
Williams/MG Guy wrote:

> Hello Listers!
>
> I've got a) two weeks off in early July - and they're all mine!
>          b) an overdrive transmission
>          c) a nicely done '68 roadster, just waitin' for a transplant.
>
> The OD was purchased via the 'net over a year ago, and appears to be quite
> healthy. It didn't arrive with the section of wiring harness that connects
> it to the main harness.(Yellow to yellow on the inner fender just beyond the
> fuse block. Got my Lucas driving lamps hooked to that now, which gives me
> on/off on the steering column stalk....but I digress...)
>
> I *do* have a partial section, salvaged from a parts car. Whomever removed
> the engine & tranny from that car simply cut through all the wiring. This
> piece I have is from the tranny forward.
>
> Now begins my question and request for assistance/input.
>
> Inside the partial harness are three wires. Yellow/red. Green/brown and
> Green. The yellow/red is a heavier gauge than the two greens, which are the
> same gauge as the rest of the wiring in the car.
>
> Still with me?
>
> I have searched for this section of harness, and it just ain't findin' it's
> way to me, so I thought I might be able to reconstruct the section from an
> old wiring harness I have from a '69. Strangely enough, there are no other
> Yellow/red or Green/Brown wires in the entire harness!?
>
> Checked my Bentley manual's wiring diagram, and it doesn't show a Y/R or G/N.
>
> help.
>
> Need to know a) proper length of this section?
>              b) what's with the discrepancies in the diagram?
>              c) anybody got one of these for sale, and help save an old
> fart's                 plans?
>
> Sorry for the length. Appreciate any input..
>
> Cheers from the Atlantic coast of Canada!
>
> Terry Williams
> '70 BGT (overdriven)
> '68 roadster (about to be)

My Haynes and Workshop Manuals shows green and green/brown going to/from
the reverse light switch, and overdrive wiring of yellow from manual
switch to gearbox switch, and yellow/purple from there to the solenoid.
Also shows yellow and yellow black in the transmission control
spark advance circuit.  Can't see a yellow/red anywhere, though.

PaulH.