FW: Newsgroup vote on rec.autos.makers.mg

To: mgs
Subject: FW: Newsgroup vote on rec.autos.makers.mg
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 1997 13:47:21 -0600 (MDT)
[BOUNCE mgs@Autox.Team.Net:    Non-member submission from [Randell Jesup
<Randell.Jesup@scala.com>]]

     Date: 10 Jun 1997 17:07:14 -0500
     From: Randell Jesup <Randell.Jesup@scala.com>
     Subject: Newsgroup vote on rec.autos.makers.mg

        Gary Spencer waited the required 6 months and has resubmitted his
proposal for a rec.autos.makers.mg newsgroup.  As before, he did not see
fit to notify the british-cars or mg mailing lists (according to the CFD).
(He also submitted identical "please please please make this newsgroup!"
(other than the name of the marque) requests last time for jaguar, TR,
etc).  All were defeated soundly the last time.

        He (again) has not responded to email telling him about the existing
mailing lists, or that proposals (within british-cars) to turn it into a
newsgroup have been defeated on a regular basis for the last 10 years.
Even though he was informed of this last time, his latest proposal did not
mention the mailing list, nor did he inform the members of the mailing list
about his proposal, as I pleaded with him to do.  The proposal is close to
identical, word-for-word, to the last one he made.

        Perhaps it is time to form british-cars or mg/tr/etc newsgroups -
but I personally don't think this is the way to do it.  If it's created
without the participation in the discussion of the members of the current
mailing lists, it could end up fracturing the lbc/mg/etc community.

        I will vote no on the proposal.  You can find the proposal
(cross-posted to a large number of newsgroups) in news.announce.newgroups
if you wish to vote.  The rules for newsgroup voting prohibit me from
re-posting the Call For Votes here.  The vote will run until June 30th.

        FYI, I've been a member of the british-cars mailing list for 11
years now.

--
Randell Jesup, Scala US R&D, Ex-Commodore-Amiga Engineer class of '94
Randell.Jesup@scala.com