Recerse-light installation.

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Recerse-light installation.
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardner@lwcomm.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 02:59:11 +0000
> Eddie Sheffield wrote:
> >
> > This looks like a good place to ask a question I've had for a while.
> > I've got a 1967 1275 Midget. It has no backup lamps. I think they were
> > standard equipment in 1968. It's not original, but I would like to add
> > them. Looking in the catalogs it looks like the switch threads in a hole
> > that is currently occupied by a ball, a spring, and a plug holding it
> > all in place right behind the gearshift. Can I simply replace the
> > ball/spring/plug thing with the switch, or is there some other
> > significant difference between the transmissions?

Eddie,
        An alternative to replacing transmission bits might be a microswitch
under the shifter boot.  Feasibility varies from car to car, but for
a remote-control starter installation on a stickshift once, I mounted
a microswitch on the transmission hump under the shifter boot to
detect whether the car was in gear.  You should be able to mount one
such that the lever closes the contacts only when you have the car in
reverse.  It's simple, doesn't require changing any existing parts,
and can be removed in a few minutes if need be.
        The type of switch I would use has two long, leaf contacts that are
normally apart.  When pressed together by the shifter lever, they
would close a contact, allowing twelve volts to go to your reverse
lamps.
        Let me know if this seems the way to go, and I'll give you more
specifics.

Scott Gardner
gardner@lwcomm.com
www.lwcomm.com/~gardner