Re: MG gas mileage

To: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Subject: Re: MG gas mileage
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 15:58:13 -0500
Trevor Boicey wrote:

 <<snip>>

> Fuel injection generally gives more performance because it's
> adjustments and tunings can be done without compromise, generally
> unlike carburetors where most design traits are tradeoffs between
> performance and mileage, performance and emissions, or performance
> and driveability.

Without compromise? Give it a rest!

Fuel injection is not magic. It is merely a computer relying on
imperfect sensors that, within the parameters decreed by the maker and
implemented by the coders, does a specific job. Everthing in the whole
world is tradeoff. Fuel injection is no exception -- and this is
especially so at the peak of performance.

Prior to the computer geeks taking over, there where mechanical and
automotive engineers making the same types of design decisions.

Feel free to rattle off all the 'facts' why fuel injection is superior
but please include the costs of that superiority. Also include the cost
of being stranded in the middle of nowhere when the system gets confused
and goes tits up "without compromise."

Lower emissions and better economy are legislated goals. Consumers have
been victimized by that for a couple of decades, now. Heresay? Then how
come my modern car has computerized emission control and then has a
computerized on-board diagnostics doubly checking the computer and then
I am required to have the car inspected by another state run computer
for emissions compliance. And for all of this the consumer has
absoultely no voice.

If I get x percent better fuel enconomy on a system that is 2y more
expensive when is the payback?

Yeah, yeah, yeah, fuel injection does it's job. And we're all paying for
that. Yipee! Boring as hell. Thankfully, this list talks about ancient
stuff that we old farts can tinker with, learn, and appreciate.
--
Bob Allen, Kansas City, '69CGT, '75TR6, '61Elva(?)
"Never use a big word when a dimunitive one will do."