No start, Alternator?

To: "MG List" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: No start, Alternator?
From: "Wade Shanley" <Wadesh@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 97 21:04:33 UT
Let me preface this by saying that I am somewhat of a newbie.  I've had
problems like this before, but have never tried to tackle them myself.  This
will be my 1st attempt to fix a no start problem on my own.

I recently took my 74 MGB into a local muffler shop to install my new
stainless steel exhaust system (which looks and sounds great).  When I went to
pick it up, they said they had to jump my B to get it started.  Sounds a
little suspicious considering it was fine when I brought it in, but who knows.

Once we jump it, it runs fine.  But the second I shut it off, it goes
completely dead...no crank, no clicking, nothing.  Could this just be a bad
alternator?  I'm praying it's not a short because I'd have not clue where to
start.

I'm sure there are certain steps I should take to trouble shoot this, but I'm
unaware of what I should do and the tools I'll need.  I have the dual 6volt
batteries setup and the batteries are brand new as of last Nov.

I have the Bentley and Haynes manual but neither have much detail when it
comes to troubleshooting a no start problem.
If anyone can give me advise on what things to check first and how to go about
it, I'd appreciate it.