Re: tune up questions

To: RDWILLI@VM.SC.EDU, "mgs@autox.team.net" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: tune up questions
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 1997 00:37:02 -0400
RDWILLI@VM.SC.EDU wrote:
> does the drive dog only go in one way,
> or should i be able to turn the rotor 180deg. to put "one" back where it
> originally was?

  If it's like most LUCAS dizzies, it should only go one way. If you
look at it from the end, the drive part of it is slightly off
center. Like cutting a pie in half and making one side a little bigger.

> the car runs now, with no backfire, but it seems quite odd to me that a
> tune-up would cause a 180deg. shift in the firing order as it was
> prior to the tune-up.  any help would be greatly appreciated.

  Did you by any chance label the plug wires on the distributor
cap? The cap might be able to go on the other way, which would
move the numbers around, but wire one will still be the same
relative to the car.

  Does the car run, or have you only tried idling it? This is a long
shot, but some cars will run with the plugs 180 degrees off,
by firing on the top of the exhaust stroke. Engines are often
put together this way by accident, forgetting that because
it's a four stroke the mark can say TDC and the piston can
be at TDC but it's not the firing stroke.

  As well, are you labelling the pistons correctly, or at least
the same as whoever did it the first time?

  A firing order of "1342" becomes "4213" if you count the
pistons starting from the other end. That is essentially
the same order but 180 degrees out in the numbering.

  Best of luck. If the car runs fine, it has to be something
silly and stupid.

--
Trevor Boicey
Ottawa, Canada