Re: TD Hand Brake

To: mrazor@kih.net
Subject: Re: TD Hand Brake
From: mgbob@juno.com (ROBERT G. HOWARD)
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 1997 10:16:17 EDT
Hi Mike,
  Inside the brake lever is the little rod that connects the button to
the pawl that engages the toothed, arced piece of steel when you press
the button.  If the pawl isn't moving far enough to engage the arced
piece, the brake lever won't stay up. Have you checked for something
extra, such as a stale piece of doughnut stuck in the lever so that the
rod cannot move its full length?  Are the teeth worn off the arc, or the
end of the pawl worn away?    Another possibility is that the rear brakes
are so in need of adjustment that the brake lever is pulling up far
enough to pass the teeth on the arc. In that case, all that's necessary
is to adjust the rear brakes with the micram adjusters. Over time, the
micram adjusters can wear their little points to a rounded shape, and
they won't hold the adjustment. An easy mend for that is to use the
corner of a file to sharpen their teeth in the worn area, so that their
profile is that of the unworn teeth at the ends of the adjuster.
 Let me know how you fare.
MG Bob @ juno.com