Re: tall problem

To: dhw@atomic.net
Subject: Re: tall problem
From: dmeadow@juno.com
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 1997 22:18:50 EDT
My wife has a hard time driving my MGA 'cause she is too *short* at about
5'4".  The one time she did, we had to put three pillows behind her (as
well as moving the seat all the way up) so she could effectively work the
pedals.  Even at 5'8", I have the seat moved up a bit and find myself
stretching to push the clutch all the way in. Since the steering wheel
has some adjustment and there is plenty of leg room, I think you would
find plenty of room in the A, ONCE YOU ARE IN.  The tricky part is
GETTING IN.  The front edge of the door is fairly far back compared to
where the seat is.  So if you sit down in the car and swing your legs in,
you have to really bend your knees to get past it.  Even at my height I
will grab my left knee with my hand and pull on it to get it past the
door.  You might have to use the "James Bond" method and just jump (or
step, Mr. Jolly Green Giant) over the door onto the seat and then slide
down.  Then you gotta watch out for the oversize steering wheel!

Getting into the car is only a small fraction of the time you spend with
it, so I would consider it a minor inconvenience over driving around in a
car that is too small for you.  Besides, if you get the TR3, you also
have to be driving a Tr***ph, and who wants that!

David Littlefield
Houston, TX