Re: clutch freeplay

To: karim.marouf@cancom.com
Subject: Re: clutch freeplay
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 13:10:29 -0500
karim.marouf@cancom.com wrote:

> On my '67 MGB, the clutch engages as soon as the pedal comes off the floor.
> There's hardly any freeplay--only about  1/4 of an inch. Often I grind gears
> if I'm not careful to press the pedal all the way to the floor.  I just
> replaced the clutch slave cylinder and the hydraulic line, and I suspect
> that the master may need replacing also, although it isn't leaking. But
> could there be something with the clutch itself or the clutch release
> bearing that is causing this problem? How much freeplay should there be at
> the bottom of the pedal? Is the rod in the slave cylinder adjustable? I'd
> appreciate any suggestions.

Definately a clutch master cylinder is in your future. Either rebuild it
or buy a new one. Also, watch the pushrod/pedal in the pedal box. Often
the bolt and pushrod clevis get worn.

The rod in the slave cylinder used to be adjustable in early 60's LBCs.
Not anymore.

Naturally, this all assumes that the system has been bled to perfection.
--
Bob Allen, Kansas City, '69CGT, '75TR6, '61Elva(?)
"Never use a big word when a dimunitive one will do."