clutch freeplay

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: clutch freeplay
From: karim.marouf@cancom.com
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 10:50:40 -0800
On my '67 MGB, the clutch engages as soon as the pedal comes off the floor=2E=
=20
There's hardly any freeplay--only about  1/4 of an inch=2E Often I grind ge=
ars=20
if I'm not careful to press the pedal all the way to the floor=2E  I just=20
replaced the clutch slave cylinder and the hydraulic line, and I suspect=20
that the master may need replacing also, although it isn't leaking=2E But=20
could there be something with the clutch itself or the clutch release=20
bearing that is causing this problem? How much freeplay should there be at=20
the bottom of the pedal? Is the rod in the slave cylinder adjustable? I'd=20
appreciate any suggestions=2E