Re: Removing bondo (maybe you shouldn't)

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Removing bondo (maybe you shouldn't)
From: rdonahue@holli.com (Robert J. Donahue)
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 23:22:43 -0600 (MDT)
>On Wed, 25 Jun 1997, Aron Travis wrote:
>
>> Anyone know of a good way to disolve bondo/body putty?
>> ie a chemical way rather than mechanical.
>> -Aron Travis-
>> "always in a auomotive frenzy"

Before you start taking off the old bondo, consider
how much work you'll have putting new bondo back on. I just
finished painting my TD. I started out by stripping the
panels down to bare metal. What looked like nice smooth
pieces to begin with, turned out to be very lumpy metal!
Some of the panels had more stitches than Frankenstein!
They had been braised, leaded, welded, hammered, patched,
and ground. Filler (bondo?) was used to make the whole
thing smooth. The work looked pretty professional to me.
Perhaps new panels where unavailable at the time, hence
the heroic effort to save the old ones. Anyway, I found
that trying to re-smooth the panels with bondo was a lot
of work and I cound not match the original job. So, I
just sanded the rest of the car just enough to
prep it for the new paint. Heck, the old paint/filler has
been hanging on to the car for 45 years, it ain't going nowhere.

Bob Donahue, Still Stuck in the '50s
rdonahue@holli.com
53 MG-TD #17639 under DIY restoration, NEMGTR #11470
71 MGB still in shop, 17 months and counting