Re: Early B Dim Dash Lamps

To: "Richard A. Boris" <borisri@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Early B Dim Dash Lamps
From: Ross MacPherson <arm@unix.infoserve.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 23:26:47 -0700
At 09:41 PM 6/25/97 -0400, you wrote:
>Hi Everyone:
>
>I know that this subject has been hashed over numerious times, but my
>dash lamps are dim. Checked out the grounds!, battery voltage, voltage
>output from the regulator runs between 13.5 to 14.5 volts depending on
>the time since the last starter engaugement. I even repaced the 987
>lamps with 1487 lamps with higher current rated filaments. Any
>suggestions? does any company make replacement screw base halogens, etc?
>Drove the car this evening and just barely could see the gauge numerics.

Rich,

Check the voltage right at the lamps.  It's possible you may have some extra
resistance in the circuit, possibly a rheostat on it's way south, a corroded
connector.  Resistance in the circuit will cause heating which will
eventually be a much bigger problem than dim bulbs! If your regulator output
is 13.5 volts and you only see 10 at the lamp you've got to find the missing
voltage.  It will be dropped across a resistive load.  Measure the voltage
directly across the lamp then measure from the hot side of the lamp to a
known good ground (like a battery post).  If the two measurements are not
exactly the same then the lamp ground is the problem.

What year is your car?  I know the lighting was much better on my `76 than
it is on the `66 but the `66 isn't all that bad.

Cheers,
   ___        \______           Ross MacPherson
  / __ \ __ /       /------|)   arm@unix.infoserve.net
/  (___)---------/ (___)        Vancouver, BC, Canada
 1947 MG-TC 3528                1966 MGB-GT