RE: Exhaust headers--heat retention

To: gardner <gardner@lwcomm.com>
Subject: RE: Exhaust headers--heat retention
From: "REICHLE, CHRISTOPHER" <CREICHLE@nsc.msmail.miami.edu>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 1997 17:13:00 -0700 (PDT)
Tape helps scavenging gasses and can give you a little more HP. It can also
lower your engine compartment temp but I too have heard that it will cause a
tube header to prematurely fail. When the tape gets wet it holds the water
in causing a rusting problem.

Jet Hot ceramic coatings provide a nice finish (colors or polished alum
finish) which is easy to keep clean, will not corrode and insulates for a
cooler engine compartment and increased scavenging. There are a few
companies that do ceramic coating (like jet hot) with varying quality of
work and prices. You send your header to them and they coat it inside and
out. Some problems include the need to grind off the finish for welding work
and the high cost of application. Looks real good though and will extend the
life of your header (no rust).

Chris Reichle