Goodbye DamitDick

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Goodbye DamitDick
From: TATERRY@aol.com
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 1997 21:03:14 -0400 (EDT)
I've edited some of Rod Schweiger's memories of Dick as they were very
personal but here is the essence:

W.Richard (Dick) Criswell
1940-1997
by Rod Schweigher

.......Dick loved the long MG trips (Rod and Dick caravaned their BGT's to
Indy last year) and tried to tie as many MG events into the same trip as
possible.  Dick had a very good grasp of U.S. geography, thanks to his many
cross country trips, most done in an MG.

....Dick had just returned home a few weeks ago, excited about his new MG.
 He had bought the car of his dreams, the ultimate MG....an MGBGTV8.  He
bought it back east and drove it home. When he came up of the Dixon swap meet
in May (another yearly get together) he showed me pictures of it.  I was
hoping to eventually drive it (I've never dirven a "B-V8") but now I never
will.  Dick had his biggest trip planned for this summer.  He had met some
fellow MG enthusiasts on the internet and they had planned an MG trip to
Alaska. Dick was going to attend GoF West in Park City on the return leg and
head to Oregon for the Rendezvous at Kanita.

I got a post card from Dick postmarked Prudhoe Bay, June 19, 1997.  It reads:
"Greetings from Deadhorse, Alaska.  This is the most northern point in Alsaka
reachable by road.  By road I mean 414 miles of dirt, rock and mud! Crossed
the Arctic Circle yesterday.  24 hours of daylight is incredible! Saw lots of
caribou along side the road.  Might make for fine hunting, but I think only
bow hunting allowed. Dick."

Dick had a single car accident on June 20th at 4 pm in Alaska. He was behind
the main group trying to catch up. The investigating officer estimated his
speed at 80 mph which he considered appropriate for the conditions.  The
evidence suggested that he didn't fall asleep at the wheel, but more likely
he tried to avoid something (perhaps a pothole or wildlife), lost control,
skidded, rolled over into a tree and was killed.

I am going to miss my friend dick and the MG things we did together.   Goodby
Dick, I won't forget you.

Amen, Terry