Re: Goodbye DamitDick

To: TATERRY@AOL.com
Subject: Re: Goodbye DamitDick
From: brit_run@juno.com
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 11:32:12 -0500
On Sat, 28 Jun 1997 21:03:14 -0400 (EDT) TATERRY@aol.com writes:
>I've edited some of Rod Schweiger's memories of Dick as they were very
>personal but here is the essence:
>
>W.Richard (Dick) Criswell
>1940-1997
>by Rod Schweigher
>
>....... (snip) .....

>Dick had a single car accident on June 20th at 4 pm in Alaska. He was
behind the main group trying to catch up. The investigating officer
estimated his speed at 80 mph which he considered appropriate for the
conditions.  The evidence suggested that he didn't fall asleep at the
wheel, but more likely he tried to avoid something (perhaps a pothole or
wildlife), lost control, skidded, rolled over into a tree and was killed.

Just to set the record straight.  Dick was following our MGA, about 1/2
mile back, traveling at 60 mph with no other cars on the road, cruising
at that speed for miles, not trying to catch up.  No one knows what
caused him to run off the road.  There was no witness to the accident.
There were tracks off into the gravel on the left side of the road,
followed by skid marks across the pavement to the right and off the right
shoulder.  The car was pointed back up the road, rolled on the left side
and impacted a tree, top first, crushing the top down to door height.  We
do not believe he was speeding or trying to catch up.

Regards,
Barney and Carol
Brit Run To The Sun, 1958 MGA