Re: Refubishing TD door hinges

To: "Robert J. Donahue" <rdonahue@holli.com>
Subject: Re: Refubishing TD door hinges
From: ewsinc@blazenet.net (Charlie Baldwin)
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 1997 10:03:01 -0400
Robert J. Donahue wrote:

> The door hinges on my TD are worn. Can they be bored out and used with
> oversized pins? Is there an outfit that does this kind of work that I can send
> them to? New ones are a bit salty.
>
> Bob Donahue, Still Stuck in the '50s
> rdonahue@holli.com
> 53 MG-TD #17639 under DIY restoration, NEMGTR #11470
> 71 MGB still in shop, 17 months and counting

Bob,

I just went through that last year on my TD. Make sure they're all bad -
I got away with just replacing the top one on the driver's side and that
made a world of difference. I'd try to find someone local to do the
boring out, shouldn't be too difficult for a competant machinist. Try an
automotive machine shop first and if they can't do it they will know
where to send you. Compare what they want to the price of new ones,maybe
they won't be so pricey after all. The tough part is adjusting the door
after get the hinges right. I added a turnbuckle and cable set-up where
that flat strap of metal goes diagonally across the door which allows
more adjustment- works kind of like what I've seen on old wood storm
doors for a house. This was in some recommendation in TSO many years
ago. Good luck.

Charlie
'52 TD- #14552, NEMGTR#2346

P.S. Check your chassis no., that number puts the mfg. date in June '52
which would make it a '52 in most people's opinion.