Re: FW: 2022

To: EMILY COWEN <ecowen@cln.etc.bc.ca>
Subject: Re: FW: 2022
From: Jay Quinn <jpquinn@cyberramp.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 15:03:06 -0500
Outrageous claims cut in below...

At 12:19 PM 6/30/97 -0700, EMILY COWEN wrote:
>Hi Q!!
>
>On Mon, 30 Jun 1997, Jay Quinn wrote:
>
>> Comments MIG welded in below...
>
>> I've heard both good and bad but thats only biased talk.
>> I'm hoping to hear good things about the new car model.
>
>Well, now that the R&D has been done on the new platform, the bug
>squashing has begun.  Chrysler engineering has just spent mega
>bucks/time on the window defrost system because they said the first
>system wasn't satisfactory.  They say that they learned things that
>nobody knew about, and can guarantee the next vehicle's
>ventilation/heating system in advance.  Man, I'd like a little of that
>in our cars...

Mighty interesting.  It still has the name of
Chysler.  I have knee jerk reactions to this day.
I hear the word Chysler, and I hear that old starter
motor spinning, and spinning and spinning...

>> Makes one wanto to sry.  This is why most Euro & Jap cars seem to
>               ^^^^^^^^^

Also type like crap.

>And I thought that engineers didn't have emotions...

They don't.

>> >Anyways, remember the credo: NEVER, but NEVER buy the first generation
>> >of ANYTHING.  ALWAYS wait for at least the second generation design, or
>>
>> Yeah, like a Bugeye opposed to a Box Sprite?  |:)
>
>Don't be confusing "badge engineering" with design changes.  All they
>did to "improve" the bug-eye was to change the body styling, and MOST of
>the auto-buying public bought into it!!  If you want to, you can install
>the bug-eye front end sheet metal onto the MK I Midget, MK II Sprite, no
>problemo.

Yes, I've been told that.  My early MKII can take the front end with out a
hitch.  In fact, other than body difference, there is no difference.  Maybe
a bit more compression in the original 948 sitting on the garage floor.

>The move from 1/4 eliptic rear springs to semi-eliptic springs was to
>give that typical North American "boulivard ride", not to improve the G
>forces on a skid pad.  If they'd done it RIGHT, the MK III Sprite
>would've had an IRS set-up, like the Spit's Mk III one; NOT THE SWING
>AXLE el cheapo from the Triumph Herald that the MK I had.

I've often wondered if my 62 rear spring was better or worse for racing
opposed the semi-eliptic?  I was going to modify for racing the rear
suspension one of these fine days.

>> Boy, was that bad.  I'm sure there are other major lemons but I can't
>> remember any as bad as the GM diesel.
>
>Ugh, does Chevy Vega aluminum block ring any bells??  The warantee fixes
>ended up with cast iron sleeves... GM should've reverse engineered
>Honda...

Oh, yes.  Now ther was another loser.  I think the only thing that was good
is the fact that we can bolt on their wheels.

>> Tell me more of this fluidless brakes.  Can it be stopped?  |;)-
>
>If they are implemented, ITT says that a system voltage of 36v will be
>the break point of component weight/battery pack size.
>
>Fewer part numbers because "feel and characteristics are determined by
>an algorithm rather than juggling master cylinders and boosters."
>
>"There's even an emissions case to be made, since elimination of the
>vacuum source now needed for the booster would permit more accurate
>engine intake tuning."
>
>When -app 2005.  Where - German Luxury vehicle

Wild.  I just love technology.

>> Jay Quinn - Systems Engineer
>
>Time to bare your soul (in public yet).  What's a "Systems Engineer"????

It's someone who is an administrator in charge of LAN Servers (The system)
and Workstations and the networks between them.  Keep them up, running and
operational.  And the guy who reboots the servers just before you have the
chance to update a new file that you have worked on all day, and not saved.
 :)

Also someone who has taken a battery of tests from either Novell or
Microsoft which follows a certain track of disciplined training.  When
they pass all tests administrered from special designated testing centers,
then they become a certified Systems Engineer of that type of network
platform.

>TTUL8r, Kirk Cowen   (who's often wondered who's job it was to make sure
>                      that a simple piece of equipment had to have at
>                      least one, or more 3/16, 1/4, 5/16, 3/8, 7/16, and
>                      1/2 inch fasteners when just 3/8, and 1/2 would do
>                      99.9999% of the time... but now I'm whining.)

PS  I understand that the Koreans are really good or the best at
designing things that use few tools.  I guess they heard your requests.
Simple yet smart designs that interlock with other parts well, and being
pulled apart easy for repairs and then reasembled quickly again.  I've seen
that with small gas powered garden equipment they make.  Justa couple of
tools and thats all it takes to tear down.

--
Jay Quinn - Systems Engineer
jpquinn@cyberramp.net