Re: FW: 2022

To: pbailey <pbailey@qnet.com>
Subject: Re: FW: 2022
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 1997 18:07:56 -0400
pbailey wrote:
> other day I was coming home from work and a perfect Cobra was going in
> front of me I saw 2 teenagers (about 14-15) sitting on the curb and they
> didn't even look at it!

  Why should they? What is a cobra to those kids?

  I am 24, and can fully understand those kids. The Cobra means nothing
special to me, it's only a magical car for people of the right age
category.

  I would like a cobra, because it's a pretty car and has good
straight line performance. But it's nothing special, because
I didn't grow up seeing them driving around, seeing them
on magazines, and wanting one. I grew up wanting a Ferrari F40
or a Diablo or a Toyota Supra or an Acura NSX.

  The word nostalgia is right on the money, to whoever pointed
that out in this thread.

  In twenty years an NSX will drive by, and those "kids" will
drool all over it while their kids don't seem to care. I'll
drive by in a 1994 Supra that I am dearly proud of, and nobody
born after the year 2000 will give me the time of day.

  It's been said many times before on this list, but it
relates to why Model A and Model T prices are falling
steadily. Who wants them? The people in the collector
ages now want Muscle cars or LBCs and so on. They didn't
grow up with Model Ts, it means nothing to them, so the
demand is low and falling.

  Cobras will probably always be worth lots of money, but
will there be a "Cobra" magazine for sale in two decades
like there is today? Probably not. Will it be the #1 kit car
by a landslide? Probably not.

  This relates to something else that is LBC related, good old
rubber bumpers, and why they are increasing in value lately. I
personally like them. Why? Probably because when I grew up, all
"nice" cars had modern rubber bumpers, and most chrome bumper
cars I saw were old junkers and rolling wrecks.

--
Trevor Boicey
Ottawa, Canada