Hot MGB's

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Hot MGB's
From: Jack Emery <jemery@mint.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 21:47:42 -0400
After spending a very hot weekend touring in our V-8 B
roadster I've decided that AC is maybe not so bad after all.
Temperature of 95 both days and thje hottest that the engine
ran was 200 at about 80MPH.  At 60 it runs 180.  I am going
to duct from the front valence vents to the lower half of the
radiator.  Other than that the car is just wonderful.  Much
less cockpit heat than our TR4 and a lot more comfortable.

The only low point was when my Pertronix Ignitor went TU due
to the heat.  The V-8 distributor is located in the front,
right behind the fan, and it worked fine until the engine
warmed up.  Having been described as a cynical old bastard I
of course had a set of points with me.  Standing out in the
blazing sun on I-93 doing the "assembly is the reverse of
disassembly" drill truly sucks.  Lots of honking and waving
from passing cars but no offers of ice cold adult beverages
to ease the pain.  The engine runs as well on point ignition
but it just doesn't hot start as easily as before.  I feel
uneasy about recommending the Pertronix to anyone else until
I learn what killed mine in 4000 miles.

Jack Emery
'67 MGB V-8
Glenburn Maine