TD Sparkplugs and Steering

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TD Sparkplugs and Steering
From: Dave Houser <mgs4dave@warwick.net>
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 1997 18:03:52 +0000
Just got back this weekend from the T-register meet up in Boston and a
couple of questions came up without answers, so I come to this learned
group of MG savvyists.
1- We must have covered sparkplugs before but maybe not the modern day
types now available(Is there a FAQ?). I've been running Champion N-9Y's
since I've got 1/8" off the head, .040 overbore, 1-1/2" SU's, GJ
needles, twin fuel pumps(ala MK. II TD), 4.3 MGA rear. I think I should
be using a colder plug and want any recommendations you can offer. Old
plugs look rich, with black deposits and white crud on top of electrode
after a run back from Boston(200+ miles). Tail pipe pretty black, starts
with very little choke, if any at all, jets all the way UP!
2- I've got a knock over rough roads that is from the inner steering
ball joint. If you push the headlight bracket down, it clunks(thought it
was a worn sway bar bush). Any ideas on what to do there? Fill it with
grease to help quiet it down?

Thanks in advance,
Dave Houser