Re: TD Sparkplugs and Steering

To: mgs4dave@warwick.net
Subject: Re: TD Sparkplugs and Steering
From: mgbob@juno.com (ROBERT G. HOWARD)
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 1997 15:27:53 EDT
Hi Dave,
  The last seminar on Saturday was by Hal Kramer, discussing sparkplugs.
Having reviewed theory, he got into practice, with discussion of current
fuels and sparkplugs. In summary, he said--use 87 octane since the old
measurement differs from today's.
Set timing about 5' ahead of the book's recommendation--I worked this out
on the crank pulley Sunday night--32 original advance + 5 = 37 which is a
tiny bit larger than 1 3/16 inches on the crank pulley. Mark with liquid
paper on the pulley and set with timing light. Set plug gap at what the
spark plug maker recommends.
 He's finding best results currently with NGK plugs. Says they have a
closer gradation of temp ranges than others on the market today, the
higher # being the Colder (unlike Champion)  He recommended that one
start with a B6HS, or BR6HS for a resistor plug (these are the 1/2"
plugs)  They have the 3/4" also, but I forgot the letter designator.  He
said that N9Y has been superceded by L82C if I recall correctly.
   Another factor he mentioned, just to complicate things, is that
today's RFG or whatever they now call what used to be called gasoline has
different burn characteristics. Example-if using a Colortune, one must
set the mix so that RFG burns orange with a hint of blue, not the blue
that Colortune recommends. Apparently TDs need a richer mixture when
running on this stuff.
  Good luck on this; please share with me what you determined as I am
going through the same ignition experiments myself.
 Bob Howard