RITV, Summer and long voyages

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RITV, Summer and long voyages
From: mmcewen@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca (John McEwen)
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 1997 19:00:27 -0500
Hello fellow listers:

I am leaving on Thursday morning at some ungodly hour - destination
Penticton, British Columbia.  The purpose is to attend the annual Rally in
the Valley, sponsored by the Okanagan British Car Club.  This is a
wonderful, hospitable event which allows us LBC lovers ample opportunity to
view some of the finest in vintage Brit iron - including some vintage
bikes.

I will be driving my freshly refurbished 1950 Standard Vanguard.  The trip
will take me to the other side of the Rockies and nearly to the American
border - a distance of about 650 miles.  Mechanically the car is unrestored
but has been well adjusted - I hope.  While it's not an MG, under the hood
breathes the soul of a sports car.  The Vanguard provided the engine for a
bunch of Brit cars including the TR2, TR3 and TR4s.  It also powered many
fifties Morgans, the Triumph Renown sedan and the Triumph 1800 and 2000
roadsters.  What is more interesting is that the same basic engine was the
power plant of the Ferguson tractor.

The Vanguard looks a lot like a Volvo 444 or a 48 Ford with fender skirts.
It is roomy and quite comfortable - although it steers, stops and handles
like a typical American car of the forties.  This is no recommendation.
However it has oodles of charm and is quite reliable - I hope.

I will be travelling by myself and expect to make one overnight stop on the
way.  Please wish me luck.  I'm getting too old to "get out and get under"
although I am carrying spare parts and my tools.  I'll report on the RITV
when I return and will be signing off tomorrow until I return to Edmonton
next Tuesday evening.

John McEwen