FW: Fuel system problem?

To: mgs
Subject: FW: Fuel system problem?
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 1997 20:23:06 -0600 (MDT)
[BOUNCE mgs@Autox.Team.Net:    Non-member submission from ["Jason F. Dutt"
<simjason@ix.netcom.com>]]

     Date: Sat, 14 Jun 1997 14:12:45 -0400
     From: "Jason F. Dutt" <simjason@ix.netcom.com>
     Subject: Fuel system problem?

Hello all!

It's been a while, but your favourite fair-weather fan is back!  I have
a bit of a challenge with my '72 MGB that I hope someone will be able to
advise me on.

Here's the situation:

Turn the car on, fuel pump ticks away, then stops.  Start the car; runs
fine for a few minutes, then dies in one of the following ways.

1.  It dies abruptly, with no response from the accelerator (ie. like if
the fuel pump was shutting off).
2.  It runs for a few seconds like it was only getting half fuel.  Very
little response from the accelerator, and sounding like a choking cow.
:-).  After that, it dies all together (see above).

Now, once the car is off, I can turn the key back on, the fuel pump
ticks away (for a rather long time, I might add), and I can start the
car again.  It will then run for a few minutes...

Any ideas?  I'm thinking perhaps a clog in the fuel line somewhere, but
I'd like to get some more opinions before I mess with that.  Is there a
relay for the fuel pump?  Would that be a possible cause?

Thanks in advance for your help!