Re: MGTF rear transmission mount

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: MGTF rear transmission mount
From: "A. B. Bonds" <ab@vuse.vanderbilt.edu>
Date: 03 Jul 1997 15:53:30 -0500
In <33BBD320.1272@worldnet.att.net>, Truxtun Southworth wrote:
>Over the last few weeks a problem has developed in my TF. I traced
>the problem to a cracked rear transmission support which seems to
>allow the drivetrain to twist under torque until the clutch engages.
>Definitely not good.

Yup.  Been there, done that (TD).

>Does anyone have experience with replacing
>this rear mount? Once I
>unbolt it can I jack up the transmission and slide it out.

Yup.  It will help immensely to take off the tunnel (a non-trivial
job) to get access to the various bits.  It's a lot easier doing some
of the bolts from above instead of below, with crud falling in your
face.  There are a total of four bolts that hold the mount in place,
two on the upper ears and two on the lower.

>I know there is a fork that passes through the center of the mount.
>How difficult is it to remove?

You don't wanna remove the fork.  It's held in with a clevis pin
(fastened with a cotter) on the bottom of the tranny.  Very hard
to get to in place.  What you need to do is remove the nut on the
bottom of the fork pin (under the mount) and lift the tranny
sufficiently to let you slide the mount out, and vicey versey for
installation. Come to think of it, you will most likely HAVE to remove
the tunnel and drop the driveshaft as well.  May need to loosen the
exhaust pipe too.  Sigh.  You might be able to do it by rotating the
mount as you slide it out or in....

You will most likely find the rubber buffers inside the mount all
gungy, swollen and crumbly.  Replacements are readily available from
the usual suspects.  However, I've done this twice and still can't
figger it out.  With new rubbers, the fork pin only baaarrely
protrudes from the bottom of the mount.  I can just get enough
purchase to slip a nut on it, and that's pretty tight.  In theory, one
is supposed to have both a rubber buffer and a washer on this pin as
well, but I've never been successful in getting same on.  Am I missing
something, group?

                        Good luck!      A. B. Bonds