Re: 77 MGB Cooling Fans

To: James <Jamesjf@usa.net>
Subject: Re: 77 MGB Cooling Fans
From: "Vince J. Pujalte" <pujalte@stic.net>
Date: Fri, 04 Jul 1997 20:49:54 -0700
James,
  I don't have a '77 B with electric fan.
  My fan ('76 B) is a belt-driven one.
  And, being a man, I have an opinion on your problem.

  1. Measure the swept area of the 2 stock fan's blades excluding the
center hubs.
  2. Compare this swept area to that provided by the prospective fan.
  3. If the prospective single fan has more swept area or is even close,
go for it. The shrouding on the new fan will reduce pumping losses due to
vortices sweeping off the old fans blade tips.
  4. Change the wiring on the new fan to incorporate a relay rather than
sending voltage through the temp sending unit.

  Hope this helps.

-Vince
San Antonio, Texas
2 MG's in a 1 car garage