The Twitch is Gone

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: The Twitch is Gone
From: "Jerry Causey" <reecau@whidbey.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 1997 11:54:33 +0800
I was recently complaining about the sudden appearance of a rear-end twitch in
my 1967 MGB GT after I installed 1.25 inch lowering blocks, and received two
answers:

Rick Morrison said:
> The cause of the darting to one side on acceleration and the other on
> deceleration is the rear axle is not aligned to the chassis. That is, the
> axle centerline is not 90 degrees to the center line of the car.

Ultimately, both answers were correct, though the actual cause was "user
error." I had managed to get the little locating biscuit in the driver-side
blocked cocked at an angle, so that side wasn't properly seated against the
spring perch. I re-seated it out, and also installed a 2 degree shim to ward
off evil pinion-angle spirits. Now the ride is twitch free. While I was
s'working under the car I flipped the upper shock mount adapter 180 degrees,
and  replaced the funky drop-down lower mount with stock shock mounts
installed on opposite sides, and flipped over. Now, when the axle hits the
rubber stop, the Koni shocks are about 1/8th inch short of fully compressed,
and when at the limits of the axle straps, are about 1/8th inch from fully
extended. I just love symmetry! I also acquired another half inch of ground
clearance in the rear by ditching the old lower mount.

The installed Koni Special D shocks are model number 801244. Does anyone have a
Koni catalog and can cross-reference this number to other applications (both
other cars and other brands of shocks) for future reference?

Regards,
Jerry Causey - 1967 MGB GT
Whidbey Island, Washington, embraced by the Puget Sound
(fairly close to Seattle, and the rest of the USA)