TD steering rack clunk

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TD steering rack clunk
From: Dave Houser <mgs4dave@warwick.net>
Date: Sat, 05 Jul 1997 10:39:45 +0000
Thank goodness for the online help. Nothing makes me more frustrated
than to find nothing in my hundreds of manuals, books and newsletters
referring to a specific MG problem. The subject of this search has to do
with a clunk that recently started on my TD's steering rack. I mentioned
this problem earlier, but finding nothing written, have to come back to
this group for any info you can impart.
Here's the problem:
-Pushing down on the front suspension causes the inner rack to hit the
steering housing where the rack passes through at the inner ball joint
at both ends.
There is nothing that I have found that mentions this as a potential
wear point when rebuilding your steering! There are no replacable bushes
like the later B's have(Someone must have had a problem).
The triangular rack rides through the circular housing contacting it
along three areas. Grab the inner ball joint and push it up and down and
you can feel a slight looseness up and down.
Is this repairable? What would cause this to happen?
Going over rough roads sounds as if the front end is about to smack
itself until something breaks. Very disconcerting.

Thanks in advance,
Dave Houser