Re: Welding Rods

To: bugide@juno.com
Subject: Re: Welding Rods
From: gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison)
Date: Sun, 06 Jul 1997 23:00:31 EDT
On Sun, 06 Jul 1997 19:11:59 EDT bugide@juno.com (Larry J. Dickstein)
writes:
>       I'm a better welder than a computer operator and inadvertently
>hit the wrong button.  Someone had related that coat hangars are made
>of inferior steel and make a bad choice for welding rod.  They went on
>to say that good welding rod is a better choice for the floor pans and
>to save the hangars for the non-critical welding jobs.

>My question:  What are non-critical welding jobs???
>
>Larry Dickstein
>bugide@juno.com
Larry,
  That was me. And I didn't want to imply that coat hangers were not
usable for welding rod, it was just that is such a situation as was
related, that is welding sills on a MGB, that the best choice was to use
the best rod availible, assuming that MIG welding was not a viable
choice.

  And in answer to your question, some examples of non-critical welding
jobs:

  Fixing the broken flower pot that the SO has placed in the middle of
the porch to be tripped over
  "glueing" a couple of pieces of scap together to make a pattern
  Basically, any welding task such that failure of the weldment will not
endanger life or limb, or the failure would not cause other structural
failure or deformation.
  On cars, it makes a good filler for closing holes in sheet metal (non
structural)
  I have even used it to weld exhaust systems (off the car - I have an
aversion to using a open flame on a car with the possibility of gas in
the tank/lines. Call me chicken)

Rick Morrison
72 MGBGT
74 Midget