Weber downdraft/Holley 5200

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Weber downdraft/Holley 5200
From: Aron Travis <atravis@spacey.net>
Date: Sun, 06 Jul 1997 22:51:01 -0700
There was some discussion on this list awhile ago about this carburetor.
I knew that I had a text book about this carb, and now I found it.

Just to jog your memory, this is the downdraft carb used in many
of the MG performance intake manifold conversions.

I'll quote some highlights, and anyone can email me for any specifics.

The book is "Holley 5200, Carburetor Handbook, Selection, Tuning, and
Repair" by Mike Urich of HPBooks.

".....in 1970, Holley obtained a license from Weber to build the Model
5200 for the 2.0 liter German Ford engine used in the Pinto."

"Ford also used the 5200 on the V6 and 4-cylinder Capri, Mustang II, and
Cortina."

"The 5210 was introduced in 1973 on the L-11 performance version of the
2.3 liter Vega. In 1977, the 5210 was used on the new Pontiac 2.5 liter
'Iron Duke' and the 2.0 liter Audi four."

"In 1978, the 5220......was introduced on the 1.7 liter VW/Audi engine
in the Dodge/Plymouth Omni/Horizon."

"When introduced, this carburetor came in only one size- 270 CFM at
three inches of mercury. In 1978 a 235-CFM model was introduced on the
Ford and Mercury 4-cylinder engines......Since 1979, Chevettes have been
equiped with a 245-CFM model."

"Early in 1975 Holley decided to review several older carburetor
models.......these carburetors were redisigned to make them closer to
true 'bolt on' replacements. The result is the Economaster line of
carburetors,.......including the 5200 family"

"Much of the 5200's popularity is due to its adaptability to engines
origionally equipped with either a Weber or Solex staged two barrel.
Both of these carburetors use the same stud patten as the 5200.
Manufacturers that have used these carburetors include Alfa Romeo, Audi,
BMW, Fiat, and Volkswagen.
In addition, the variety of main and idle jets, main-well tubes, air
bleeds, and venturi sizes makes it possible to tune this carburetor for
a large number of engines and displacements."

This book also mentions that Holley had a model(s) 6500, 6510, and 6520,
which seem to have a electronic idle adjuster for cars with air
conditioning, other than that, they seem the same to me.

Hope this info is of some use, at least for junkyard hunting.
Once again, email me for any specific question, I'll post the good
answers to the list.

-Aron Travis-
"always in a automotive frenzy"

P.S.
There is a speed shop just north of me, in Cocoa, that only sells
Holley carbs and parts. They have a selection of 5200 stuff too.
This alone would make me lean towards using the Holley over the Weber.