DOT 5 now DOT 4

To: MG List <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: DOT 5 now DOT 4
From: Mark Endicott <endicott@bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 1997 19:13:18 -0500
The last drop of original (since I bought the car) fluid was in the
clutch MC.  I had topped it off with Castrol DOT 4 fluid thinking (not
thinking) what the PO might have had in there.  It has started leaking
fluid down the pedal and on my other shoe, the brakes don't leak
anymore.  I shined a flashlight down the filler cap on the MC and saw
what looked like black stuff,  so I got my Mighty Vac and sucked out the
mess.  Now I have a little bowl of clear fluid with some black stuff
(probably DOT 4 mixed with rubber) not mixing with it.  I am assuming
now that the PO had DOT 5, Silicone, in the clutch MC.  Since I have
mixed the stuff can I just flush it out with DOT 4 and hope that the
leak stops or must I replace all of the seals in the system?  Is it even
worth a try?

Yep, it's me again...

Mark
70 Midget