Re: DOT 5 now DOT 4

To: Mark Endicott <endicott@bellsouth.net>, MG List <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: DOT 5 now DOT 4
From: Jay Quinn <jpquinn@cyberramp.net>
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 1997 08:11:36 -0500
You wont like this reply, but...

If it was DOT 5 with leaks, and you put in DOT 4 and want to stay with DOT
4, then replace all rubber , blow/flush out the lines, fill and bleed.  DOT
5 and DOT 4 dont mix.  If you did mix em, then just flushing like a scalded
monkey may not fix the damage to the rubber and it's still leak.  Then
again, it might hold a while, in which case, consider yourself lucky.

If it was DOT 4 and you have leaks and you see rubber and debri in the MC,
then replace all rubber, blow out the lines, and fill and bleed.

Either way, if you want real tight, safe brakes, redo all the rubber,
flush, fill and bleed.  Especially now becasue it leaks.  Once it starts
leaking, switching around fluids isn't really going to help.

It's my understanding, info gleaned from many people here on the list, that
DOT 5 is a very hard pedal, that is for cars that aren't driven much, not a
daily driver or racing brake fluid.  DOT 4 is for daily driving and racing,
nicer pedal feel.  DOT 4 is really what you want.

--
Jay Quinn - Systems Engineer
jpquinn@cyberramp.net