Re: cooling

To: elmo@inreach.com
Subject: Re: cooling
From: RodsINTOMG@aol.com
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 1997 10:30:44 -0400 (EDT)
I too have a 1964 MGB vintage racer and I have found that the blanking sleeve
sold by Moss and others is not the answer for my car.  I have found that the
engine runs cooler with a thermostat.  My conclusion is that the coolant is
moving through the radiator too quickly (simply spending too little time
there to be cooled).  I plan to try a modification of the blanking sleeve, by
sodering in a plate with a smaller hole.  Why this and not just a thermostat
for racing?  The thermostat can break and close up causing instant serious
overheating.  If you are using a blanking sleeve for racing, you may want to
reconsider this.  I would be interested in any further thought you have on
this subject.  Also I have found that all my MGs run much cooler without an
antifreeze mix.  In the road cars I use a rust inhibitor/water pump
lubricant, and in the racer, I use Water Wetter.

Rod Schweiger
'52 MGTD (2)
'59 MGA 1600
'64 MGB VR