RE: Source for Camshaft

To: <boballen@sky.net>, <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>, <SHedman123@aol.com>
Subject: RE: Source for Camshaft
From: <larry.g.unger@lmco.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 1997 10:35:21 -0400
"Midget" Susan wrote:

> ADVICE NEEDED:  EEK! Should I buy one of those alloy heads
> that are around or just "massage" the old 1622 one? ie bigger
> valves, a little porting etc.

Asking Bob Allen's adivce regarding an 'A' engine is akin to asking
a 'New Yorker' for directions ... all its gonna get ya is 'abuse' ... ;^)

IMHO, Steve Darby's Cross-Flow Heads are *excellent* ... a radical
increase in air flow and an increase in CR beyond that possible with
the stock cast iron head ... if ya have the disposable income, go for it.

OTOH, the porting mods outlined in Peter Burgess's book will net ya
a substantial increase in air flow ... stay away from the racing mods
and larger valves 'cause they will have an adverse effect on port
velocity.

Safety Fast! ... larry.g.unger@lmco.com
'61 MGA 1600 MkII