Re: TD Clutch Question

To: JHoltslag@aol.com
Subject: Re: TD Clutch Question
From: Bud Krueger <bkrueger@ici.net>
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 1997 21:27:41 -0400
JHoltslag@aol.com wrote:

> Dear Mg'ers,
>      Since I have have completed my TD restoration, I' ve had problems
>
> adjusting
> the clutch linkage so the transmission fully disengages when the
> clutch pedal
> is depressed.  The TD is an early TD which should have a clutch cable
> but the
>
> PO replaced the cable with the solid clutch rod found in later TDs.
> Are the
> clutch rod and the clutch cable interchangeable?  Is the same clutch
> link
> used
> in both early and late TDs?  I ask because it seems as if the PO used
> a "customized" (read "homemade") clutch link.  It acts as if the
> "customized"
> clutch link isn't long enough to disengage the clutch.  Any advice
> would be
> appreciated....  Joe Holtslag

Hi Joe,        My TD (10855) is from the cable days. When I replaced the
Volvo engine with a late '53 engine (#28839), I decided to use the rod
system. The standard link has worked fine for me. The Abingdon Spares
parts list gives a better indication of which parts are different among
the two systems than does the Moss catalog.

Bud Krueger
52TD