Re: transport

To: britcars@juno.com
Subject: Re: transport
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 1997 09:10:43 -0500
britcars@juno.com wrote:

> We have a restored MG TF that needs to go from Sacramento, CA,  to
> Norwalk, Ohio, and a friend has an Austin Healey near Ft. Wayne, Indiana
> that needs to come out to the Oakland, CA,  area. Sounds as though there
> ought to be a way to find someone with (preferably) an enclosed trailer
> to make a more-or-less round trip out of it. Each leg of the trip is
> worth about $650 to $700 to the respective individuals.

Lemme see. $1,400 tops. Appears to be about 4,600 miles.

I'm not really trying to start anything but, without deadheading, your
offering about 30 cents a mile. Most new cars hauling absolutely nothing
cost more than 30 cents a mile to operate.

OTOH, if you averaged 10 hours a day at 60 MPH you're talking about an 8
day road trip. So that would be $175 a day (again, no dead heading
payment).
Expecting no more than 10 MPG, towing, would be 60 gallons of gas: $75.
So you have maybe $100 left a day to eat, sleep, cover wear and tear,
and whatever left over is the working wage. I figure the wage at about
$2 an hour for 11 hour days.

I think you should expect to pay about 50 cents a mile to haul cars,
singularly, across the country. Now you're up to $2,300 and that starts
sounding like real money.

Been down that road before and there ain't no easy way.

--
Bob Allen, Kansas City, '69CGT, '75TR6, '61Elva(?)